A very interesting post discovered recently
- "Half of the Facts You Know Are Probably Wrong"http:// reason.com/archives/… "Everything We Know Has an Expiration Date"
- "inappropriate fiddling with statistical analyses to obtain desirable p-value" http://www.plosone.org/article/Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.00463…
- "To win the Nobel Prize in Economics, it helps to wield math. Lots of it" http://qz.com/to-winoit/ … via
- "Complex environments often instead call for simple decision rules (...) these rules are more robust to ignorance." http://www.johndcook.com/7/robustness-of-simple-rules/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheEndeavour+%28The+Endeavour%29…
is the optimal way to find a parking spot?"http:// punkrockor.wordpress.com/what-is-the-optimal-way-to-find-a-parking-spot/ … by
- "Forget your fancy data science, try overkill analytics" http://gigaom.com/data/forget-your-fancy-data-science-try-overkill-analytics/ …
- in the U.K. "what happened when MPs took a maths exam"http://www.bbc.co.uk/19801666 … but I bet it's the same in most countries !
arithmetic of tenure standards"http:// worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2012/10/tenure-and-arithmetic.html … by
- "Flows of Research Manuscripts Among Scientific Journals Reveal Hidden Submission Patterns" http://www.sciencemag.org/… via "articles that were rejected by one journal and resubmitted to another were significantly more cited than first-intent" http://www.mcgill.ca/news/study-research-paper-submissions-sheds-new-light-218524 …
- "You miss almost everything while you’re offline, but that’s ok"http://www. elezea.com/while-you-were-gone/ …
- "Genetic and environmental influences on thin-ideal internalization" http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/at.22056/abstract …
are many ways to price by gender"http://timharford.com/2012/10/there-are-many-ways-to-price-by-gender/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter … by
@TimHarford via @adelaigue @SH_lelabo
academic disagreement becomes harassment"http://stanford.edu/~joboaler/ by
@joboaler via @audreywatters
- since temperature is continuous there are two points on the equator diametrically opposed yet have the same temperature (a simple but nice application of Rolle's theorem) http://www.futilitycloset.com/opposites-exact/ …
- "Unpleasant Properties of Log-Linearized Solutions when the Nominal Interest Rate is Zero" http://research.stlouisfed.org/annual/Braun.pdf … via http://economistsview.typepad.com/…
advice" http://www.nature.com/science/articles/10.1038/nj7418-133c … on "contracts between
academic scientists and industry sponsors"
Game Theory is Reinventing Crime Fighting"http://www. governing.com/topics/justice-safety/gov-how-game-theory-is-reinventing-crime-fighting.html … via