Dev'ing for Ops - How to Create System Center Extensions with Visual Studio
The Visual Studio Authoring Extensions (VSAE) are an add-on for Visual Studio that provide additional functionality to aid with management pack development for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, System Center 2012 - Operations Manager, and System Center 2012 - Service Manager.
The latest version of VSAE is available for download here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30169.
This article is for sharing useful information on how to use VSAE, how to get the most out of VSAE, and anything else VSAE related.Table of Contents
- Go To Definition
- Management Pack Template Groups
- Switch MP Project between 2007 & 2012
- Referencing MPBs and other 2012 MPs
- Include File Content
4. 14 Templates Available
There are 14 templates available which will cover the majority of your authoring needs! They are:
- Agent Task (Custom)
- Agent Task (PowerShell Script)
- Agent Task (Windows Script)
- Assembly Resource
- Monitor (Aggregate)
- Monitor (Dependency)
- Monitor (Unit)
- Rule (Alert)
- Rule (Custom)
- Rule (Event Collection)
- Rule (Performance Collection)
- View (Custom)
The System Center 2012 Visual Studio Authoring Extensions—VSAE—is an add-in for Visual Studio 2010 Professional provides Lifecycle Management Tools to support Management Pack Authoring.
- VS Projects for Monitoring MPs, System Center 2012 MPs including Operations Manager and Service Manager.
- MP Item Templates for quick creation of MP Items.
- XML MP Item Templates (generates MP XML for editing).
- Template Group Item Templates (Abstract your intent from MP XML).
- Snippet Templates (generates MP XML from CSV)
- IntelliSense for MP XML for the following versions:
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
- System Center 2012 Operations Manager
- System Center 2012 Service Manager
- Integrates into Visual Studio Project System with *.mpproj.
- Enables building within VS & MSBuild.
- Supports custom build tasks (simply edit *.mpproj or *.sln)
- Build multiple MPs (multiple *.mpproj) in a solution.
- Integrates into any VS supported Source Control systems.
- MP Navigation Features
- Management Pack Browser for browsing MP Items.
- Go to Definition
- Find All References
- ResKit Tools integrated
- Workflow Simulator
- Generate Visio Diagram
- MP Best Practice Analyzer
- MP Spell Checker
- MP Cookdown Analyzer
I love the idea of DevOps, especially when it means I can dev something for my Ops team... :)
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)