Data/Science Links: Does Watching Cute Animal Videos Make You a Better Employee?
- "Heavy use of equations impedes communication"http://www. pnas.org/early/2012/06/22/1205259109.abstract … "density of equations has significant negative impact on citation rates"
- probability, uncertainty, risk, facts, sciences... all the ingredients for a nice story "If only..." by Tony Ballantyne http://www.nature.com/journal/v489/n7414/full/489170a.html …
economists see the world differently" by Tyler Cowen http://marginalrevolution.com/… via
@justinwolfers see alsohttp://www. usatoday.com/business/2012/09/29/male-female-economists-differ/1583053/ …
have the economists ever done for us?"http://www. voxeu.org/article/what-have-economists-ever-done-us … see also http://voxeu.org/article/what-s-use-economics-new-vox-debate … cc
- "Paying to get to the front of the line" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19712847 …"brings the market to the experience of waiting in line" fairness? equality?
- "The effect of hurricanes on popular baby names" (in the U.S.)http:// blogs.discovermagazine.com/2012/10/04/ncbi-rofl-the-effect-of-hurricanes-on-baby-names/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DiscoverDiscoblog+%28Discoblog%29 …
- ah, statistics via http://gregladen.com/blog/2unday-funnies-just-funny/…
- "this form of governance long ago earned US research universities the description of ‘organised anarchies’"http://www. universityworldnews.com/story=20120925143938281 …
- "Economic Research vs. the Blogosphere"http:// whynationsfail.com/bl…
behaving badly? Universities and online reputations"http:// theconversation.edu.au/acadving-badly-universities-and-online-reputations-9827 … by
@thesiswhisperer viahttp:// blogs.lse.ac.uk/imp…
- "We should go further unbundling banks" http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/a1114362-0bef-11e2-8032-00144feabdc0.html#axzz28I4nprQT …
- want to know more about (mathematician) Grigori Perelman? read Playboy... http://brettforrest.com/uploads/JUL_AUG-FEAT-Shattered-Genius-spreads.pdf…
Ways to Apply Algebra with the NYT"http:// learning.blogs.nytimes.com/ays-to-apply-algebra-with-the-new-york-times/ … by
- "Ignoring a Covariate: An Example of Simpson's Paradox" http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00031305.1996.10473563 … see also "Simpson's Paradox – A Survey" http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=wharton_research_scholars …
Paradox: A Cautionary Tale in Advanced Analytics"http://www.significancemagazine.org/dlusive/2671151/Simpsons-Paradox-A-Cautionary-Tale-in-Advanced-Analytics.html … on
Riots Be Predicted? Experts Watch Food Prices"http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/20/161501075/high-food-prices-forcast-more-global-riots-ahead-researchers-say?ft=1&f=1007 … by
lesser-known truths about programming"http:// dotmac.rationalmind.net/some-lesser-known-truths-about-programming/ …
- "The Next Subprime Crisis Is Here: Over $120 Billion In Federal Student Loans In Default" http://www.zerohedge.com/…
- "Research fraud exploded over the last decade"http:// arstechnica.com/science/0/research-fraud-exploded-over-the-last-decade/ … see alsohttp:// dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1212247109 …
- "High frequency traders’ claims refuted by studies" http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/2b1723c4-0704-11e2-92b5-00144feabdc0.html …
pushing SEC to get serious about the dangers of superfast
computer-driven trading" http://www.reuters.com/article/0/01/us-markets-tech-breakdowns-idUSBRE88T0NF20121001 … via
academic online: Constructing persona through the World Wide Web" http://www.uic.edu/htbin/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3969/3292 … via
- "Reporting science: Journalistic deficit disorder"http://www. economist.com/1563275fsrc=scn/fb/wl/pe/journalisticdeficitdisorder … "What newspapers don’t say matters as much as what they do"
- "4-Year Prison Terms Sought for members of Italy's National Commission for the Forecast and Prevention of Major Risks"http:// news.sciencemag.org//2012/09/four-year-prison-terms-sought-fo.html …
contested science behind Bloomberg's ban on large-sized sodas" http://www.slate.com/health_and_science/science/2012/06/bloomberg_bans_large_sized_soda_the_science_behind_the_decision_.single.html … by
lives longer? and why?" by Josep Pijoan-Mas and Víctor Ríos-Rull http://www.voxeu.org/article/who-lives-longer-and-why … cc
Power of Kawaii" http://www.plosone.org/… "Watching Animal Videos
Could Make You a Better Employee"http:// theatlantic.com/archive/2012/09/science-watching-animal-videos-could-make-you-a-better-employee/263042/ … via
Did I miss something?
(Note: Opinions expressed in this article and its replies are the opinions of their respective authors and not those of DZone, Inc.)